Friday, January 23, 2009

Saying My 'Goodbyes' [and 'Hellos']

This entry is retrospective, covering the months around August of 2007
● To properly set the context for August of 2007, it is necessary to begin a little bit earlier and introduce some more main characters. During the latter part of June, I flew with my mother, Aunt Janna, and her daughters to the wedding of my cousin Erin in Southern California. It was here that Aunt Janna introduced me to the marvel of GPS navigation - which seemed prone to say phrases like, "Merge right in 200 feet ...[two seconds later]... Recalculating" (as we passed our exit) - and she enabled me to reacquaint myself with the discomfort of second-degree sunburns since parts of me hadn't seen the sun since before my mission (Photo: I'm 'gleefully' bearing the pain, can't you tell?).

One of the cousins that I traveled with was Camilla, who plays a vital role in nearly everything that comes after. Although she is several years younger than me and I hadn't known her very well before my mission, I got to know her better through several visits to Logan, Utah (where she and her family lived) and other similar trips. Even by that time, I was fairly serious about returning to Colorado. But ever since I had arrived in Utah, I had repeatedly promised Camilla that we would go on a double-date. In an enthusiasm that typifies Camilla's bouyant nature, she exclaimed that she knew of someone who would be just perfect for me! I, on the other hand, doubtfully ignored her excitement, but with my impending departure I had little time to waste if I was to hold true to my promise.

After the trip in June, I nearly forgot about our conversation until I was driving out to Colorado for a friend's wedding during the first weekend of August 2007. I distinctly remember the moment I recalled that 'double-date conversation'. I was just entering Echo Canyon on I-80 when I realized that I had only one or two more weekends in Utah and I still hadn't done as I had promised. I immediately called Camilla and asked her to set something up for that next Saturday.

0 comments: