Saturday, May 07, 2011

Check Your Slots

Our precocious little Pederson can now open the front door-which he did yesterday while I was bringing groceries in. Do you know what this means? That's right, my control belt got one notch looser yesterday. I am really bummed too because this also means that I will have to put on one of those childproof handle things that also seem to be Amber proof. I never can quite get them open without at least thinking a few expletives #@!*#%!! So much for saintly mother of the year.

Several minutes after I had corralled Isaac back into the house and began putting things away I realized that I was missing my car keys. My mind flashed back like they do in the movies to the last memory I had with them. I pictured a booger-faced Isaac jingling the keys in my face as I awkwardly carried him in one arm and a sacks of groceries in the other. Of course, at that time I was more concerned with wiping off the green goop from off my son's face so that it didn't end up on the couch than I was on getting my keys back.

So now here we are, keys MIA. After searching in vain for several minutes - I thought, "What would I do if I were 18 months old?" Then I thought to myself, "No, he couldn't have...well maybe...it couldn't hurt to check." I immediately went outside and went straight to our next door neighbor's (Cerar's) mail slot and gingerly slipped my hand into a slot that is not designed for a hand to go into, but sure enough, they they were along with other little "treasures" that he had been depositing for who knows how long.

Then I thought to myself, "Hey that worked out great. What other things can I discover if I just thought 'What would I do if I were 18 months old?'" Then I began to look at the piles of important papers stacked on the desk, the stuff I could lick off the floor and so forth and I got a bit discouraged and grossed out. I will just stick to raiding neighbor's mail slots.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just discovered your blog! Lucky me!! Adeline tried to drop my keys in the toilet the other day, too. You really never know with those kids...

Heather Whitworth said...

Loved this...So funny! What an intuitive Mommy you are. I miss you guys. We need to play soon. I think Strat might be finally old enough to hang with the "big kids" now. We will see though. :)

Clynn'sKathy said...

Great thinking!

When David was about that age, one day I walked into the kitchen just as he was dropping my keys into our trash can--you know, the kind with the hinged lid that swings back and forth....

I would NEVER have thought of looking for them there, so I was very grateful that I was prompted to walk in just then.

I had a fleeting thought that maybe that wasn't the first time he'd used that to deposit treasures, but I decided against digging through that particular barrel.

I DID, however, thoroughly sift through my vacuum bag once when I thought I may have vacuumed up the diamond that ended up missing from my wedding ring. But no luck. Also searched the yard, where I'd been weeding, the chicken coop, and a couple of other places....

:-)