Friday, December 23, 2011

This one doesn't stay in

Late September of 2005 I remember holding my new niece Anna for the first time. She had the tiniest little face that was overshadowed by this:

I had been out of the country for the last year and a half and didn't have much experience with babies and had never seen anything like it. I thought it was weird that it was hollow and that it was shaped so cylindrically. Anna would suck on it for a minute then it seemed to slip out of her tiny little mouth. Now understand, I grew up in the 80's in the golden age of binkies. Naively, I asked my sister if she wanted me to go out and get her a new binkie. She asked me why and I said, "because this one doesn't stay in." Initially, my sister laughed, but then she realized that I was serious and she got that "oh, you sweet darling look" the one older sisters give to indicate in the nicest way that you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Well here it is, 6 years later and I am holding my own daughter with the same type of pacifier that she will suck on for a minute then spit out and wake up. Perhaps it was silly, naive or down right stupid but I think I want to get a different pacifier--this one doesn't stay in.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I never used it for Addie but a boy I watch uses the same kind. I personally have a hard time finding it every time it falls out of his mouth because I can't use a regular pacifier strap for it.

Erin said...

That's why we don't use those kind, either. They don't stay in. However that's the only one Ella used in the very very beginning because that's all we gave her--the orthodontic ones messed up her latch. But she only used it for a few sucks and then it fell out and she ended up sucking on her fingers. She stopped using it after a few weeks and started up again at 8 months and went to 2+ years. Ack. Now Chaz is on 14 months and I don't care to break it. It's what keeps him from crying when he tries to fall asleep at night. We use Avent.